The Black College Fund
Bethune-Cookman University is one of eleven United Methodist-related historically black colleges and universities that together make up the Black College Fund.
In addition to sharing the common values and principles of all UM-related institutions, the colleges and universities of the Black College Fund share a common mission of providing educational opportunities to those who might otherwise not attend college, creating a supportive environment that recognizes and nurtures the potential of every student, and instilling a commitment to service – and an expectation of leadership – in their students.
The Black colleges and universities of The United Methodist Church, far out of proportion to their numbers and financial resources, are responsible for educating some of the world’s most effective and popular leaders -- from preachers, district superintendents and bishops to college professors and presidents to general agency staff, legislators and community leaders. Further, these schools and their graduates have a rich legacy of service and are a source of great pride in their communities.
The faculties and staffs at these institutions expect the best from students and many of them become lifelong mentors and friends to their students. They see the power of potential, and they nurture and extract it whether the students are National Merit Scholars or underachieving dreamers.
Students at these schools will tell you “Here I’m more than a number.” Small classes give students the opportunity for individualized attention and the space to grow and blossom. Yes, most small schools offer intimate classroom settings, low teacher/pupil ratios, and dedicated faculties; but these schools help students understand that they are being educated for service and for leadership.
One professor put it this way: “Yes, I expect you to go out and make a lot of money, but it’s about more than that. I tell them I expect them to make a difference.”
Top 10 Reasons to Attend a Black College Fund School
10. Our only business is helping you achieve your educational goals
9. You can work with world-class scholars and use cutting-edge technology
8. Fellowship and friendship in a nurturing community
7. A legacy of developing leadership for our nation and the world
6. A community where you are a person, not a number – a home away from home
5. A rich tradition of self-discovery through a values-centered education
4. Opportunities to reach your full potential
3. A campus where you can belong
2. A space to find nourishment for Christian growth
1. A place where you can be surrounded by the best and the brightest minds from around the world.
Source: The United Methodist Church General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (www.gbhem.org)
To Learn More:
The United Methodist Church http://unitedmethodist.org/
General Board of Higher Education and Ministry www.gbhem.org
Black College Fund http://www.gbhem.org/site/c.lsKSL3POLvF/b.3486287/k.BBD3/Black_College_Fund.htm