Goals & Objectives
- Goal 1: To meet the educational needs of learners through creative and nontraditional systems, the School of Professional Studies commits to intentionally define, explain, and predict excellence in higher education for traditional and non-traditional students by offering certificates, training, evening and weekend courses.
- Goal 2: Seeks further to develop learners through high levels of involvement with content, faculty, and immediate application while focusing on Christian values and ethics to provide direction, purpose, and evaluation of personal and professional life action.
- Goal 3: Be responsive to the needs of the area and strives to offer programs and services which support a diverse target audience including business and industry, educational and government agencies, professional groups and associations, and the general community.
- Goal 4: Provide strong academic programs at the professional studies Miller Center for students in the teach-out program that meet the needs of these adult learners. Maintain continuous programmatic review in order to better meet the educational needs of the students.
- Goal 5: Improve academic and career advising to enhance the educational choices of the adult learner. Maintain a student service orientation through “one stop shop” administrative processes.
- Goal 6: Provide a variety of course delivery systems, e.g. evening, online, and weekend classes, at the sites to meet the various learning styles and personal/family needs of the adult learners.
- Goal 7: Maintain partnerships with other educational providers to enhance educational opportunities for students while practicing economies of scale. Explore ways to support community requests for non-credit programming as feasible when related to the mission.
- Goal 8: Establish a model outcomes assessment plan to include assessment of students, courses, programs, advisement, and the department and provide direction, encouragement, support, and recognition for the scholarly growth of faculty.
THE SCHOOL OF PROFESSIONAL STUDIES OBJECTIVES
The School of Professional Studies objectives focus on programs and classes taught by professionals committed to quality education. The courses, programs, activities and events within the School of Professional Studies provide opportunities for students to:
- Value learning as a life-long process and advance the acquisition of knowledge and abilities that enhance a successful personal and professional future and impart a sense of ethics, social responsibility, and community service.
- Establish a foundation in professional or liberal studies by creating a student oriented learning environment with opportunities for student faculty interaction.
- Analyze, evaluate, synthesize, and present information cogently; and to make informed, intelligent decisions that enhance interpersonal relationships and communication skills.
- Acknowledge the importance of technology and how technology impacts opportunities for employment, leadership and management roles.
- Work closely with administrative and/or faculty through the advisement process to select or position courses in the development of their major.