Faculty Development Center
The Faculty Development Center provides professional services for faculty seeking to enhance and fine-tune the craft of teaching.
Our mission is to provide opportunities to facilitate a highly qualified faculty at Bethune-Cookman University by enhancing and promoting the University’s mission on teaching, research, and community service with a commitment to moral and personal values.
Our goal is to enhance and promote faculty professional development by incorporating best practices for fostering student learning outcomes and faculty leadership in relation to research-based teaching, research, and community service. Student will graduate from Bethune-Cookman University as transformative leaders with complex cognitive skills; practical knowledge and competency; an appreciation of human differences and commonalities; and an integrated sense of identity and civic responsibility that prepares them to live successfully within a multicultural and global community.
• Provide training on learning paradigms, teaching methodology, and other issues critical to effective teaching and learning
• Assist faculty with interdisciplinary programs by providing opportunities for partnerships within and across disciplines, within and outside the university
• Facilitate opportunities for scholarly and innovative teaching research.
University and Community Service
• Make public announcements pertaining to faculty professional development opportunities
Communicate faculty accomplishments related to effective and innovative teaching, research, and community service
The goals of FDC are accomplished by promoting the seven competencies outlined by Sell and Chism (1991):
- Engaging in needs assessment activities
- Designing and developing strategies that promote individual, pedagogical, curricular,and organizational growth
- Organizing and implementing specific programs, projects and studies
- Planning and delivering oral presentations
- Producing print and non-print communications
- Conducting research about teaching and learning
- Establishing and maintaining consulting relationships